Sunday, 17 February 2013

Module 2

In this module we were asked to create our own blog as a platform for discussion and learning during the Web2.0 course.

Creating the blog itself was not difficult as I have already established one for my class. Once you get use to navigating around the different bars and tabs, each blogging program actually seems quite similar and easy to use.

The YouTube clip "Blogs in Plain English" was great. I have actually included it on my class blog. I think it fits in perfectly as this term my students are all establishing their own blogs and I feel the clip puts it into perspective.
What is it that they are really creating? do they really value their little comments as news, available for public viewing?

Activity 5:  was designed to explore some exemplar sites and see how other teachers had best incorporated different features into their blogs: enabling them to become collaborative online classroom tools.

Brilliant Blogs were great to view- Vicky Sheehan, Julia Clements both affirmed for me the type of reflections I was doing and made me feel as though I was on the right track.
Boys Blogging Books - what a great idea! I think I'll steal (sorry borrow!) the idea for my class. It will be easy to link a page to my class blog. I think its so important for students to have a vehicle to exchange their thoughts about the books they are reading. Its a shame that this site is no longer up and running, especially as a mum of two young boys it would be good to have a site where they could become inspired to choose books for themselves.
Art Projects for Kids - is a site I have used for some time. Its great when other teachers can share their passion and expertise in such a way that inspires other teachers to have a go themselves. you can also go on their mailing list and have daily art ideas emailed to you. I've tended to print them out and have them in a folder - great resource to have.
Teacher and Class Blogs - presents a varied selection of blogs. after reading through a few of them I realised how important it is to screen what you put on your site and to check your sites before sending students to read through them. One teachers I found began a site documenting 'a year in the life' and some way down her blog put in personal accounts. 
other sites were certainly more interesting because of the way they incorporated visual graphics to stimulate students. I particularly liked when teachers responded to student comments and maintained a dialogue with them about the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment