Wikis
I love the idea of Wikis. It fully supports
collaborative learning in online spaces. The benefit of all members being able
to access the document/ conversation without millions of emails going back and
forth is so high. It also eliminates the possibility that some members of the
conversations could miss out on vital information because they weren’t cc’d in
on an email or if two of the members continued the conversation between themselves.
Next term my 56 students are undertaking an
economics unit where they have to plan, budget and execute a class excursion.
This platform will be essential in supporting them to complete their
investigation.
The 50 ways site was excellent. It gave clear
specific feedback about the usability of different platforms. As an educator
this is an essential service for me. Time poor but idea rich means that I need
to know that a product is going to suit my needs before spending hours
exploring it to only find out that it doesn’t.
I have linked this page to my staff blog at
school so that other teachers can utilize these platforms too.
NING – I found this to be a great example
of how online platforms can be all pooled together to create a community of
learners, Historically research has always told us that students learn well
with their peers so this allows for a vast array of peers to collaborate
together and share their ideas.
This has absolute potential within the
classroom. However, my continual concern remains, as we know the greatest
impact on students achievement is directly related to their engagement with
their teacher, to be- what happens when a teacher allows ning/wikis/platforms
to take the predominant role within the classroom space?
Where are the reflections on how these
platforms are used in balanced with engaging, interactive, personalized
teaching?
Google sites.
The more years I spend teaching I
continually marvel at the changes to our approach to teaching. It’s not that
long ago that we were teaching content driven units and testing our students on
the numbers of facts they could regurgitate. But I find that as well plummet
head first into an interactive unplanned future with our students we are
compelled to teach them conceptual skills of research, adaptability and problem
solving to help them survive in this ever changing world.
I can see myself planning a unit of inquiry
for my students based around creating their own websites. The rich learning and
discussions that could be born out of this experience boggles me. Even if
students used the content of the ‘passion projects’ (personal topic choice) to
drive the purpose of their website creation, the journey of creating them will
become a life long skills that would support them in to high schools.
No comments:
Post a Comment